Items being shipped to Princeton from overseas may require clearance by United States Customs, depending upon the dollar value of the shipment or the type of item. Such clearance may require additional paperwork for the shipment from both the overseas exporter and the University. Princeton’s authorized Customs Brokers can advise you on the import requirements for a specific shipment.  

Agency-Specific Requirements

Some United States government agencies require import permits for certain types of items. Issuing agencies and goods may include the following:

  • USDA-APHIS: Food products, animals or animal products, plants, and plant products
  • U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service: Wildlife or wildlife parts, including endangered species, migratory birds, injurious wildlife, and all other wildlife imports
  • Centers for Disease Control: Infectious agents
  • Food & Drug Administration: Food, drugs, or medical devices
  • Environmental Protection Agency: Imports or exports of chemical substances under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA)

Note: This list is not comprehensive. Should you have questions, please contact the Assistant Director of Export Controls.