Export Licenses

While Princeton’s Export Controls Policy emphasizes the need for open access to research results and the preservation of the Fundamental Research Exclusion, an export license may sometimes be required. For example, licenses may be required when controlled equipment or technology is being shipped overseas.

It is imperative that you recognize when you are dealing with potentially export controlled equipment or technology. Export Controls will help you determine whether a license is needed for shipment and whether the University will consider applying for one in accordance with its policies.

Obtaining an Export License

What do I do if I think I need an export license?

The first step in determining if an export license is required is to contact the Export Controls team. Please provide the following information.

  1. What: A description of what is being exported
  2. Where: The destination of the equipment, software, or technical data
  3. Who: The name of the recipient of the equipment, software, or technical data (individual and organization)
  4. Why: A description of the project, including how the exported item or data is to be used

Depending upon the situation and the type of item, software, and/or data being exported, the University may decide not to seek a license, or may seek alternatives to the export, such as purchasing a device overseas. If the University decides to pursue an export license,  Export Controls will work with you to prepare and submit the export license application.

Per University policy, exports of ITAR-controlled equipment or data are prohibited. 

Who is involved?

Your Role

If a license is required, you play a critical role.

  • Classification: Determining the export control classification of the controlled item. This may require you to contact the vendors providing the controlled equipment or technology for their assistance.
  • Documentation: Preparing the technical aspects of an export license application.
  • Clarification: Responding to any federal agency questions regarding the export.
  • Compliance: Complying with license provisions that dictate how the equipment or technology may be used in the course of research.

ORPA’s Role

Export Controls is responsible for the management of Princeton’s export control procedures and securing any licenses that may be required for Princeton activities. It is imperative that you contact Export Controls at exports@princeton.edu  as soon as an export control issue is identified so that it can be addressed a timely manner.

How long will it take?

Export licenses may take six weeks to several months to obtain from the relevant government authorities. The amount of time required to obtain an export license varies by agency (State, Commerce, Treasury), as well as by the complexity of the application. Some licenses, such as those to sanctioned countries, may take significantly longer to obtain.