Princeton ERA - Training and Go-Live Information Released
PRINCETON ERA GOES LIVE ON MONDAY, AUGUST 31, 2020!
- In order for the Princeton ERA implementation team to complete the varied tasks related to the transition from Coeus to the new system, the last day of submissions of proposals and non-funded agreements in Coeus will be COB Friday, August 21st.
- ORPA will have the next three business days to work with departments to finalize Coeus approvals, making COB Wednesday, August 26th the last day for activity in Coeus.
Although ORPA will be in-between systems, proposals will continue to be submitted during the week of August 24th utilizing the typical external sponsor portals. It is only the internal routing and approval process that will not be available during this transition period. Any proposals submitted to sponsors during the week of August 24th that were not already approved in Coeus will have to be entered, routed and approved in Princeton ERA on or after August 31st. Princeton's usual proposal submission rules still apply – please do not “hold” proposal or non-funded agreement routing and approvals that are due on or before August 21st. They should be entered and approved in Coeus as usual. As always, we encourage the research community to proactively plan with your ORPA GCA regarding submissions in August.
As far as Princeton-issued subawards are concerned, Subaward Initiation and Modification requests and related correspondence can continue to be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org until COB, Friday, August 21st. New Subaward requests will be submitted to the Subaward team using the Princeton ERA Agreements module beginning Monday, August 31st.
Once Princeton ERA is live, Coeus will be available in a “view-only” status so there is no worry about the loss of any proposal history.
As a reminder, a summary of the functionalities gained with Princeton ERA include:
- Robust proposal development and budgeting tools.
- A “multi-prong” approach to proposal development, meaning proposals can be developed and reviewed in pieces, permitting researchers to work on the project description separately from the other proposal components (as recommended by the Task Force on Administrative Workload in Research).
- Ability to submit NIH proposals system-to-system, eliminating duplicate entry.
- Electronic PI Assurance (formerly PI Certification) for proposals.
- Access the system from anywhere there is an internet connection as this is a SaaS solution (Software as a Service). – No more Java to download.
- Have increased compliance tracking for issues like export controls, financial conflict of interest, F & A waivers, etc.
- The ability to link proposals to agreements to permit transparency and limit redundancy as we negotiate terms and conditions on awards.
- Responsible Conduct of Research management and reporting
- Streamlined submissions and transparency of behind-the-scenes processing of non-funded agreements.
- Streamlined submissions and transparency of behind-the-scenes processing of subawards – both initiations and modifications.
Princeton ERA system functionality, along with related business process improvements, will reduce the administrative burden for the entire research community at Princeton, while providing for greater transparency and compliance.
TRAINING, WHERE, WHEN AND HOW?
- Princeton ERA training will be delivered utilizing both virtual instructor-led training (ILT) and playlists of short videos grouped by topic for self-paced learning. There will be written materials and quick guides available to supplement these training resources.
- Training sessions will be accessed through the University’s learn.com platform (Employee Learning Center) and will require registration.
- Training for the department administrator community will commence on Monday, August 17th. There will be notices sent in early August to announce the opening of the registration period. It will be offered in tracks (i.e. Proposal Developers, Proposal Approvers, Central Administrators, etc.). You will automatically be provided access to the Princeton ERA practice environment during and after your training sessions so you can play and practice before we go live on August 31st.
- ORPA will host “Office Hours” over the next weeks and months specifically dedicated to Princeton ERA to answer any questions that may arise, both during training and after we go-live. We are also pleased to offer a new support email address, email@example.com, to which questions may be sent. This email will seamlessly connect to the Service Now platform, providing users multiple avenues for communication. We will provide the reliable customer service you are accustomed to.
The Princeton ERA implementation team is excited that this system is ready to be launched and we look forward to inviting you to join in the fun. As always, please feel free to reach out to your ORPA GCA if any questions arise.
Princeton ERA – it’s a new era!