Information regarding Department of Energy proposal submissions and administrative policies can be found here. Please speak to your Grant & Contract Administrator (GCA) with any specific questions related to funding announcement requirements.
DOE Policies & Procedures
Applications submitted through DOE Office of Science solicitation, the DOE SBIR/STTR Programs will require that all applicants submit a plan for Promoting Inclusive and Equitable Research (PIER Plan) along with their applications beginning with FY 2024 solicitation.
PIER Plans are to be provided as an appendix to the Project Narrative and are one to three pages in length.
The PIER plan should describe the strategies and activities of the applicant to promote diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility as an integrated element of the research and development project within the proposing small business concern. Plans may include but are not limited to: Plans of your small business concern and collaborating institutions (if applicable) to recruit individuals from diverse backgrounds and groups historically underrepresented in the research community; plans to distribute a research and development environment that fosters a safe, positive and inclusive workplace as a sense of belonging among all personnel; and/or training, mentoring and partnering with underrepresented communities. Plans may leverage existing diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion efforts of the applicant small business concern, but should not be a statement of broad principles.
More about PIER Plans:
- The PIER Plan scope should be integral and tailored to the research project.
- The complexity and detail of a PIER Plan is expected to increase with the size of the research team and the number of personnel to be supported.
- The PIER Plans are to be evaluated under a new merit review criterion as part of the peer review process.
- Selections for awards are made for those applications judged to have the highest overall merit within their technical program area with consideration given to all review criteria, including new, fourth (PIER Plan) criteria.
Upcoming webinars to learn more about the PIER Plan requirements:
Thursday, July 27, 2023 @ 3 p.m. EDT Register Here Tuesday, August 1, 2023 @ 3 p.m. Register Here
Please see the full notice regarding updated terms and conditions for details on disclosures.
- Updated current & pending as well as CV or Biosketch within 30 days of disclosure change.[see information starting on page 13]
- Carefully read the Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) - startup funding at Princeton may be requested to be disclosed on the Current & Pending documents